Fresno Grizzlies extend PDC with Astros to 2018

The Fresno Grizzlies have extended their player development contract with the Astros to 2018.  There are now 6 teams that have their PDCs end this season at the AAA level. I’ve been mentioning the possibility of Colorado Springs moving to San Antonio, but I guess at this point it’s not going to happen until 2019 at the earliest since the major league teams aren’t aligning the affiliates for that move.  One possibility I read about is the Rangers going to San Antonio, the Astros going to Round Rock and the Brewers going to Fresno.  But we’ll see how things play out.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Baseball Betting

One fun baseball related activity that is often overlooked is baseball betting.  You can go to Daily Matches at William Hill and make a number of different types of bets.

I’m not sure why baseball betting isn’t as popular as other sports, but I think that it probably has to do with the nature of the game itself.  In most team sports, you will have the full complement of the team playing every night (except for injuries, of course).  But the big difference in baseball is that the outcome of the game is highly dependent on the pitching matchup.  While the production of the team is an important factor, the starting pitchers will likely dictate how you are going to bet a certain game.

Good betting sites know that this information is key and will list the starting pitchers to make it easy for you to view that game’s starting pitching matchup.  And even though that is one of the key pieces of information, the game is also dependent on the team’s bullpen.  So sometimes you need to hope that the starting pitcher can last long enough, while pitching well enough, to put the team ahead for good.

The standard betting options are pretty straightforward and easy to understand, once you get the hang of it.  The obvious one is where you pick the winner.  There will be a betting line on this so that you won’t make as much when you pick a heavy favorite to win.  A common format that the betting line is displayed as a fraction.  For example, if the betting line for a team to win is 2/1, then that means that for every $1 you bet, you can win $2.  And if the betting line were 1/2, every $2 you bet would mean a win of $1.

Sites that allow betting will typically set these odds based on the likelihood of a team winning.  Even for those that haven’t taken probability and statistics courses, you can get the hang of it without much trouble.  To make things simple, assume that there is some probability of each team winning, and since one of those two teams has to win, the sum of the two probability would add to 100% (since the game can’t end in a tie).  So if Team A is playing Team B, and Team A has a 60% chance to win, then Team B has a 40% chance to win (and a 60% chance of losing).  The betting lines generally follow these probabilities.

The fractions that are displayed as betting lines are the odds of a team losing divided by the odds of a team winning.  So in this scenario, Team A would have a betting line of 40%/60%, which simplifies to 2/3.  Team B would have 60%/40% or 3/2.  Since Team A is more likely to win, you get a lower return on your money.  If you were to bet $300 on Team A and they won, you would win $200.  And since Team B has a lower likelihood of winning, if you were to bet $300 on Team B and they won, you would win $450.

Since I did oversimplify things there, you won’t see the betting lines of each team winning multiplying together to be 1 as they do here.  Most sites will set the odds so that about half of the people will pick one team and the other half going with the other team.  And as they are a business, they will offset the odds a little bit so that they will make some money regardless (such as one team being a 61% chance to win and the other being a 41% chance to win which slightly reduces their payouts).

Beyond betting on the winners, you will commonly see betting lines on the total runs and margin of victory.  The total runs are typically listed as an over/under (higher or lower than that number) with a betting line associated with it.  For instance, the over/under could be 8 runs with a 10/11 betting line.  So if you are correct with the over/under, you almost double your money.  With the margin of victory, they will assign a handicap to each of the teams, so the favored team could have a -1.5 handicap (where you subtract 1.5 runs from that team’s total to determine the winner) and the underdog team could have a +1.5 handicap (where you add 1.5 runs).  And with each of the two handicaps, you would have a separate betting line.

So this was a quick explanation of the three most common bets you will see in baseball (winner, margin of victory and total runs) where you can bet for either team, which will drive the six common lines that you will see.  I hope this was a worthwhile primer for you, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Posted in General | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Tri-City Dust Devils extend PDC with Padres to 2018

The Tri-City Dust Devils have extended their player development contract with the Padres to 2018.  Now, 11 of the 22 PDCs at the Short Season A level expire this year.  I think there is a high likelihood that all of the Northwest League affiliations remain the same for the next two years.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Rancho Cucamonga Quakes extend PDC with Dodgers to 2018

The Rancho Cucamonga Quakes have extended their player development contract with the Dodgers to 2018.  There are now 11 PDCs that expire at the end of the season at the High A level.  With the Astros and Rangers looking to move to the Carolina League with Bakersfield and High Desert being likely candidates to switch from the California League to the Carolina League, it would have some impact on how the PDCs play out for this next two year cycle.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Idaho Falls Chukars extend PDC with Royals to 2018

The Idaho Falls Chukars have extended their player development contract with the Royals to 2018. There are now 5 PDCs at the Rookie level that expire at the end of the year.  As much as I think the Royals will get away from having a team in the Appalachian League and Pioneer League, they keep maintaining that approach.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Quad Cities River Bandits extend PDC with Astros to 2018

The Quad Cities River Bandits have extended their player development contract with the Astros to 2018.  There are now 12 Low A PDCs that expire at the end of the year.  The Astros have been with the River Bandits since 2013.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

El Paso Chihuahuas extend PDC with Padres to 2018

The El Paso Chihuahuas have extended their player development contract with the Padres to 2018.  There are now 7 teams that have their PDCs end this season at the AAA level. The Padres have been in El Paso since the franchise moved there in 2014.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Tulsa Drillers extend PDC with Dodgers to 2018

The Tulsa Drillers have extended their player development contract with the Dodgers to 2018.  There are now 9 PDCs at the AA level which are expiring this year.  I have to think that the Eastern League will remain as is, but it would be interesting to see if the Diamondbacks would try to a Texas League affiliate.  If the rumors hold and San Antonio moves to Amarillo, I think that would be a good place for a Diamondbacks affiliate.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Great Lakes Loons extend PDC with Dodgers to 2018

The Great Lakes Loons have extended their player development contract with the Dodgers to 2018.  There are now 13 Low A PDCs that expire at the end of the year.  In the last few weeks, some PDCs at this level have been renewed, so things are starting to fall into place.  In the end, I think there will be few affiliations that change, and those would be in the Midwest League.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Vermont Lake Monsters extend PDC with A’s to 2018

The Vermont Lake Monsters have extended their player development contract with the A’s to 2018.  Now, 12 of the 22 PDCs at the Short Season A level expire this year.  I still find it interesting that the A’s prefer to be in the NY-Penn League than the Northwest League.

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

Posted in Player Development Contracts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment